Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Japan - Day 10 - Kyoto

The next day was different. I felt as a new person after sleeping. As public transport in Kyoto was a bit messy, I rented a bike for 680 yens (less than 5 euros).


It was a very good idea to rent that bike because I was able to see all the important parts of Kyoto in a single day.


I ride it from south to north, west to east. I saw lots of templos, typical narrow streets, the river... In general, I enjoyed it a lot. Specially because in Japan you can ride your bike in the sidewalks and ring a bell to make your way among people!


On the run, I stopped from time to time in one of the 24 hours shops that seem to have mushroomed all Japan. I put here some pictures I took from one. If I remember well, the brands of this shops were: 7eleven, K-circle, Family mart, Lawson and Convenient store.


I took lots of strange japanese products and sweets. In the picture you can see a delicious ice cream (ice cream is really cheap in Japan as Mitsue have said to me before I went), a strawberry bun and something similar to cheetos.

In the evening, back to the hostel I prepared a plan for the following day (because I hadn't prepared anything for that day) with the help of some books that I found in the hall of the hostel. Then, I made some friends from the guests in the hostel: Emily, from San Francisco (she had been in Kyoto for 2 weeks and didn't have a fixed plan... She said she liked going very deep into the culture of the places she visites), Sophie, from France and Hanne from New Zealand. It was interesting to check again that other young people were travelling alone from very far places like me and had similar views. It was nice to chat with those determined and brave women.

No comments: