Thursday, October 8, 2020

Tamiya Jagdpanzer IV/70(V) LANG (Sd.Kfz. 162/1) making

 After the 1/72 Tiger I, I decided to build the German tank Jagdpanzer IV kit that I got when I won a prize for my greyhound vignette.

This was my first 1/35 kit. As a beginner, I normally go for the 1/48 scale kits which are less expensive.

One of the most interesting parts of this kit was modeling the Zimmerit. Zimmerit was used to make it difficult to attach magnetic anti-tank mines onto the hull. To apply the Zimmerit, I created my own tools out of Tamiya putty basic type's lid, some runners from the kit, and a bit of Tamiya epoxy putty.

For the Zimmerit itself, I used yet another type of epoxy putty. You can use this menthol cream on your fingers to avoid the putty sticking to them.

I applied a coating of Mr. Oxide surfacer and on top of that, I airbrushed the base color and camouflage patterns using acrylic gouache.

After that, I had some fun (maybe too much) weathering the hell out of this tank. I also prepared an initial base for the tank using 100 yen soft clay, but I wasn't very successful.

I created a new base from scratch using cheap wood parts from the DIY home center. Then I applied some acrylic colored varnished in multiple layers, sanding them each time. Finally, I prepared the volume of the ground using some styrofoam.

I took some pictures outside and then added a background using photoshop. This is the end result.

No comments: