Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Fixing my Sunto wrist watch

I rarely wear a watch nowadays. Most of the time I prefer to use the phone instead to tell the time. However, sometimes I like to dress up and wristwatches are nice accessories that make you look better.


Unfortunately, my otherwise excellent Suunto watch wasn't looking that good with all those scratches. I needed to get rid of them. Fortunately, during the last few years, I assembled quite a few plastic scale model kits and learned a few tricks along.


To remove the scratches from the Suunto surface, I first applied a fine-grained (number 1000) piece of Tamiya sandpaper. Remember that the higher the grit number, the finer and more polished appearance you get.


Once I removed the main scratches from the surface, I applied Tamiya polishing compound with a cloth multiple times. I didn't know about compound until I built this Greyhound scale model.


The end result was quite satisfying. The crystal was now transparent and smooth, just as I wanted. I also replaced the battery and the O-ring with Suunto battery replacement kit.

No comments: